Monday Messages (MM’s) go to all tenured and tenure track faculty, all the emeriti, and all the academic titleholders listed here except the postdocs. A small group of administrators also receive the MM’s.
MM’s from the Dean of Faculty Office is a simple, low-overhead approach to keeping the faculty informed. We use it for regular DoF business such as announcements that relate to university lectures and the Faculty Senate as well as for classroom-related reminders that deal with semester start, semester breaks, and semester wrap-up. Events that address campus climate issues will also be highlighted. Doing this weekly obviates the need for random crisis-driven messaging. Faculty are typically overwhelmed with emails so unless we attempt to control messaging many important missives end up in the trash unread. Thus, there is a “less is more” philosophy associated with the MM’s.
It is sometimes worth “upgrading” an MM item by linking to it from the DoF Announcements Menu that you see to the right. Let us know if you are interested in that.
Submitted items for inclusion can only be a sentence or two long and should be submitted at least one week in advance to email@example.com. Embedded in the message should be links to online resources that can be used by readers who require more information. Please provide both text and links. Provide clear time and place information as appropriate. Ordinary department talks and club meetings are not of interest. Events/documents that have broad audience appeal, which speak to Faculty Senate concerns, or which help the campus empathize with alternative points of view are of interest. Here is a sample item:
Think about sponsoring a Messenger or University Lecture. There is substantial funding to bring in world-class scholars. Nomination deadline for Spring 2020 visits is September 20.
- 11pt Calibri font. No boldface or italics.
- Preferred format for event announcements: [Date, time, place][Event name serving as a link to further information] [Speaker Name (if applicable) serving as link to more information about the speaker][Sponsor name serving as a link to more information about the sponsoring unit]
- Preferred timing for events: At least one week notice but a Thursday or Friday event following the Monday is OK. More than 2-week notice discouraged.]
- An MM item shouldn’t be longer than four lines as viewed on a smart phone with vertical orientation.
- Prefer not to have more than four items on a given Monday.
- No reminders! If your MM involves a deadline and the response rate is looking to be deficient, then our recommendation is to find another way to advertise. We are happy to discuss that challenge with you.
Have 1-pager for the Faculty?
Suppose you have a 1-pager that describes some important event or program of interest to the faculty. To maximize readership we recommend that you (a) post the 1-pager on your website and (b) send us an MM item that includes a link to that posting. Requests to use the DoF listserv with the intention of sending the faculty a 1-page email will be considered but you have to argue why that is preferable to the MM approach.
Have a survey for the Faculty?
Sometimes we are asked by survey designers to send an email to the faculty that is structured like this:
- 2-3 paragraphs on what the survey is about.
- Clickable link that takes the reader to the survey.
The following approach is strongly preferred:
- Set up a webpage that has the 2-3 paragraphs and a link to the survey itself.
- Send us an MM item that provides 1-2 sentences on the survey and a link that sends the reader to the above mentioned webpage.