The results of the referendum described below are in. The necessary bylaw change described in the proposal are now official.
Dear Members of the University Faculty:
Recognizing the importance of broad engagement when acting on matters that concern research, teaching, and extension, the Faculty Senate approved
by a vote of 82-to-12 . Because this requires changes to our bylaws, the University Faculty must indicate its support through a referendum.
The referendum closes Tuesday, April 2, 5pm and is available only to members of the University Faculty.
If the representation plan is enacted, then among other things the following titleholders will be eligible to serve in the Senate and vote in elections that determine the Faculty Trustees, the Dean of Faculty, the Associate Dean of Faculty, the University Faculty Committee, and the Nominations and Elections Committee:
|Senior Research Associate||Research Professor (all ranks)||Principal Research Scientist|
|Senior Lecturer||Clinical Professor (all ranks)||Research Scientist|
|Senior Extension Associate||Professor of the Practice (all ranks)||Senior Scientist|
For more details take a look at the actual proposal (one-and-a-half pages) or this brief, self-contained overview. These tables show the ramifications for departments and colleges. The required modifications to the Senate Bylaws are documented here.
If you have questions or concerns, then you can post them anonymously below or share them with your senator
Charlie Van Loan
Dean of Faculty
Senate Deliberation History
- April 2018: Committee on Academic Titleholder Representation (CATR)Announced
- September 2018: CATR preliminary recommendations presented
- November 2018: Presentation of the original proposal from the University Faculty Committee (UFC).
- December 2018: Discussion of several concerns
- February 2019: Voting on ten sense-of-the-senate resolutions, SOS Vote Results
- March 2019: The revised proposal
Last Updated: April 12, 2019 at 7:07 am