Comments and suggestions can be posted below. Totally anonymous unless you share your identity in the posting itself.
The committee should develop a plan for a phased campus re-activation, using metrics that are consistent with federal and state recommendations, and also appropriate for our campus setting. The focus should be on operational activities, including research, but excluding classroom teaching and (undergraduate) student life activities; there are being considered separately. Recommendations should be made to the president, not later than May 15, and should address the questions below. Note that some of these questions, e.g., about policies around travel and visits to campus, are also relevant to the committee looking into re-activating the campus for teaching, so discussion between the two committees is strongly encouraged.
- How and when do we re-open research activities, taking into account public health criteria as noted above?
- How do labs and research centers operate in a safe way, e.g., with appropriate public health measures, such as testing and social distancing? How will this be monitored?
- When can faculty routinely occupy their offices? What accommodations will need to be made to ensure appropriate public health measures?
- How do we move quickly to analyze the success of remote working and continue it where it is successful, and what kinds of changes do we need to make to have this continue indefinitely (e.g., any technology issues; establishment of “hoteling” space on campus, etc.)?
- How and when do we transition back from remote working to in person working, and again, how do we ensure appropriate public health measures?
- When do we open the library? The museums?
- When do café’s and other campus amenities open?
- How and when do we make decisions about alumni events on and off campus?
- Once we re-open? policies do we need to put into place regarding travel by faculty and staff and/or visits to campus
What changes do we need to implement social distancing, for as long as that is required, beyond those specifically identified with each activity above?